Brevard County’s
Oldest Injury Law Firm

Obtaining Your Police Report After A Crash

April 8, 2015

If you are a party involved in a car accident, there are several things you need to do after the crash in order to prepare a car insurance claim. One of the most important things you should never overlook is getting a copy of the car crash report filled by the responding officer.

A car accident insurance claim without a car crash report will be incomplete, increasing the risk of claim denial or a low settlement offer. In order to receive the full value of your insurance claim, it is required that you include all possible information pertaining the crash – and the car crash report offers everything the faulty part’s insurer needs to know about the events.

The process for obtaining a copy of your car crash report depends strictly on which agency investigated the crash. Usually, this is a simple process that can be successfully accomplished by following a few steps. The first step is calling the officer who responded to your accident and compiled the report. Explain to him who you are, and perhaps give him a couple of details regarding the accident to help him remember. If you cannot reach him, leave him a message and give a brief reason as to why you are calling, along with your name and a number you can be reached at.

If you cannot recall the responding officer’s name or department, there are two possibilities to identify the agency that investigated the auto accident. If the accident took place within a town or a city, call the municipal police department. On the other hand, if the accident took place outside of your city or town, call either the State Highway Patrol or the Sheriff’s Department.

If the responding officer is unable to help you, consider speaking to a receptionist with the police department, or call your local courthouse and ask for a clerk. This will help you determine what department has your car crash report, and you will only need to go to the courthouse or police station to get a copy. Most of the time, you will need to pay a fee for getting the report, which is usually 10-15 cents per single-sided page. You will be asked to complete a Record Request Form, which can be found online or at the department in question. You have the option to submit it online, by mail or in person.

However, if you are unable to get your car crash report from either the clerk or police department, the next step is calling either your insurer or the other party’s insurer, as they may have it. If so, ask him to mail a copy to you.

If you would like to discuss your accident with a professional Brevard County personal injury lawyer, contact the Nance Cacciatore law firm today. With 150 years of collective legal experience, our firm can handle personal injury cases, civil litigation, and insurance claims. We will discuss your case and guide you through the process of receiving the full value of your insurance claim, and also provide our full attention to your needs.

Share this
Skip to content