Signs and bumper stickers stating: “Watch for Motorcycles, “Loud Pipes Save Lives,” and “Look Twice for Motorcycles” are common sights. Why is that so? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in a 2017 article: “Florida has the most motorcycle crash fatalities in the nation, with Brevard County having 22, ranking ninth among the state’s 67 counties…” In Florida, the incredible weather makes motorcycle riding a popular and enjoyable activity year-round. And, although there are many scenic adventures to take, with the increased population growth and abundance of traffic in Brevard, motorcycling has become a dangerous endeavor, resulting in an increased trend in the number of motorcycle fatalities, crashes, and injuries.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also reports: “Per vehicle miles traveled, motorcyclists are about 28 times more likely than people in passenger cars to die in a traffic crash.” At Nance Cacciatore, your motorcycle accident attorney in Melbourne, Florida, we are driven to provide effective and successful representation for those who have been injured or are mourning the loss of a loved one due to negligence or misconduct. We are also invested in sharing information to keep our clients safe and informed. If you are a motorcyclist there are several preventative measures you can take to be safe on the roadways:
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists
- Get the proper training required by completing a motorcycle safety course. This will not only keep you safe by making you a better rider, but it will also help you to save on motorcycle insurance.
- Be visible by staying out of blind spots, wearing bright gear, adding reflective strips to your motorcycle, and by keeping marker, taillights, and headlights on during rainy weather and at dusk and night.
- Make wise choices and exercise sound judgment. Stick to the posted speed limit, use directional signals, and while riding avoid weaving between lanes.
Motorists can also adhere to safety tips to help keep motorcyclists safe on the roadways.
Safety Tips for Motorist
- Don’t drive distracted. Taking your eyes off the road can have catastrophic results.
- Be especially vigilant when making left-hand turns since this is where many accidents occur.
- Be respectful of motorcyclists by giving them plenty of room to maneuver so they can enjoy the same rights and privileges as other vehicles.
- Look and listen actively for motorcyclists in traffic.
- Leave room between motorcyclists and vehicles so they have ample time to react to heavy traffic, uneven terrain or wet roads.
If, in spite of implementing the above-mentioned safety tips for motorcyclists, you or a family member is seriously injured, please contact us immediately to benefit from the experience of our personal injury team of attorneys at Nance Cacciatore. We represent clients in the Titusville and Melbourne areas that have been in truck accidents, boat accidents, and much more. Call us today at (321) 777-7777.